PARLIAMENTARY OFFICER VACANCY
Salary: £32,000 – £35,000 (depending on experience)
Role: Four days or full time
Location: Office based in Bethnal Green with flexible remote working. The expectation would be to work in the office at least 2 days a week.
Are you passionate about the public interest? Do you want to feel you want to make a real difference?
Founded in 1993, Protect is the UK’s whistleblowing charity. Our aim is to protect the public interest by helping workers to speak up to stop harm and wrongdoing. We support whistleblowers by providing free and confidential legal advice. We support employers to implement effective whistleblowing arrangements. We campaign for legal and policy reform to better protect whistleblowing. Our vision is of a world where no whistleblower is unheard or unprotected.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organized and creative Parliamentary Officer to join our growing team. You will help us communicate key whistleblowing issues – including our campaign for legal reform – to politicians, government officials and other key decision makers.
This is a varied and rewarding role in a small but highly collaborative and friendly team. We are looking for someone who understands how Parliament works and has a track record of successfully influencing policy. You must be passionate about current affairs have an ability to develop a strong political network, write in an engaging style, and have great interpersonal skills.
- Lead on political influencing activity to deliver Protect’s goals.
- Monitor Government and Parliamentary activity, identifying opportunities and drafting policy-related briefings to ensure Protect’s views are represented in debates in Parliament.
- Research and draft responses to consultations on key whistleblowing issues within the public policy debate.
- Represent Protect at policy and Parliamentary events
- Orally brief MPs and their staff
- Contribute to raising the profile of Protect generally
You will need:
- A good working knowledge of both Parliament and Whitehall: experience of working in Parliament is desirable.
- Strong analytic and research skills
- A clear and concise writing style.
- Good oral communication and networking skills
- To be able to demonstrate effective influencing of policy
- Experience in developing strong, cross-party relationships
- To be flexible enough to work in a small team and to tight deadlines
- An understanding of working in charities would be desirable.
Benefits of working at Protect:
- Flexible and family-friendly role
- 30 days of annual leave (FTE)
- Pension with 4% employer contribution
- Sabbatical entitlement after five years’ service
- Cycle to work scheme
Closing Date: 31st August 2022
We will be:
Collaborative, supportive and inspiring. You will be surrounded by colleagues who want you to succeed and are passionate about creating a better world for whistleblowers.
Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Protect is committed to principles of equality, diversity and inclusion. We value the diversity of our staff members, our callers and clients, and third parties with whom we work. We seek to create an environment where everyone feels included and valued for their unique characteristics, skills and abilities, as well as being supported in their needs and responsibilities.
- We are SUPPORTIVE: we support whistleblowers to raise concerns, and we support employers to establish effective whistleblowing arrangements
- We are INDEPENDENT: we are honest, trusted and impartial
- We are EXPERT: based on our experience over nearly 30 years, we explain the value of whistleblowing and we produce compelling evidence for policy changes
- We are COLLABORATIVE: we listen to and empower staff, we encourage diversity and working with others.
To apply click here