MEDIA OFFICER VACANCY
Media Officer at Protect
Founded in 1993 Protect has individually advised more than 45,000 whistleblowers and worked with thousands of organisations to set up effective whistleblowing arrangements. We strive to make whistleblowing work for individuals, organisations and society. We are small but mighty, the acknowledged experts in whistleblowing, passionate, agile, and ambitious. We are charity dedicated to empowering people who witness wrongdoing to stop harm and protect the public interest by building a transparent and collaborative systems where workers can safely speak up.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organised, creative and pro-active Media Officer to join our growing team, and help us to raise our profile and engagement with the media and key stakeholders.
This is a varied and rewarding role in a small but highly collaborative and friendly team. We are looking for someone who can build our profile across both traditional forms of media and social media by managing relationships with journalists and creating engaging content for the charity. You must be passionate about current affairs, with a concise and engaging writing style, and great interpersonal skills.
- Help create and deliver on Protect’s media strategy to grow the charities public profile
- Help create media and communication strategies for Protect’s reports and research
- Managing and growing Protect’s relationships with journalists
- Monitor media outlets and social media for opportunities for Protect to grow its profile
- Be the first point of call for media inquires
- Create and edit engaging web, media and press statements
- Brief Protect spokespersons for media interview and appearances at events
You will have:
- Experience in dealing with press enquiries and relaying their needs back to the organisation
- The ability to pitch stories to journalists and interact with them
- The ability to writing copy for press statements and websites to a tight deadline
- Experience in editing website and/or published report and/or web content
- Good understanding of interacting on social media (e.g., Twitter, LinkedIN etc.)
Salary: £27,326 – £30,500 (depending on experience)
Reports to: Legal Director with dotted line to Head of Policy
Hours: Full time but we will consider minimum of three days a week. We are happy to talk flexible working.
Location: London, Bethnal Green (E2). Currently remote-working with an expectation with an expectation that we all attend the office one or two days a week.
Start date As soon as possible
We especially encourage applications from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates, as these groups are underrepresented among our staff.
We will be:
Collaborative, supportive and inspiring. You will be surrounded by colleagues who want you to succeed and are passionate about creating a better world for whistleblowers.
Benefits of working at Protect:
- Flexible and family-friendly role
- 30 days of annual leave (FTE)
- Pension with 4% employer contribution
- Sabbatical entitlement after five years’ service
- Cycle to work scheme
Commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Protect is committed to principles of equality, diversity and inclusion. We value the diversity of our staff members, our callers and clients, and third parties with whom we work. We seek to create an environment where everyone feels included and valued for their unique characteristics, skills and abilities, as well as being supported in their needs and responsibilities.
- We are SUPPORTIVE: we support whistleblowers to raise concerns, and we support employers to establish effective whistleblowing arrangements
- We are INDEPENDENT: we are honest, trusted and impartial
- We are EXPERT: based on our experience over nearly 30 years, we explain the value of whistleblowing and we produce compelling evidence for policy changes
- We are COLLABORATIVE: we listen to and empower staff, we encourage diversity and working with others.
How to apply
Cover Letter: To apply please send through a cover letter, no more than 2 sides of A4, outlining why you want to work for Protect and how your experience makes you suitable for the role. No CVs please.
Written Task: Please draft an email to a journalist and a press release on the following case: Finance worker takes case to Court of Appeal to prove whistleblowing claim – Protect – Speak up stop harm (protect-advice.org.uk)
Please send the cover letter and written task to email@example.com
Closing date for the position is 5:00pm 15 June 2022.
Interviews to take place wb/20 June (this may be subject to delay if we receive a significant number of applications).